These emails are designed for those investing into Australia and those who have plans to do so. We aim to keep the points short and sweet, and to merely list snippets of relevant but easy to read information.
- The Australian national Census (officially the Census of Population and Housing) is the largest statistical collection in Australia. The Census is run every 5 years. The last Census was carried out on Tuesday 10 August 2021.
- Koalas sleep for up to 20 hours a day.
- The Australian GST system was introduced in 2000 and is modelled on the European VAT system. The rate is 10%, with few exceptions, and with no other rates. The threshold is AUD 75,000.
- Sydney is Australia’s largest city, but not its capital. Canberra is the country’s capital city. Canberra was built specifically to be Australia’s capital city as both Sydney and Melbourne had reasons for being denied.
- Australia’s land mass is 32 times greater than that of the United Kingdom, almost twice than that of Europe, and almost equal to that of the United States of America.
- Australia is the only country in the world where there are more species of venomous snakes than non-venomous snakes.
- By industry, Australia’s largest employer is health care and social services, followed closely behind by retail trade and construction.
- Australia has over 60 wine regions, and our vineyards produce over 100 different grape varieties.
- Employees in Australia are protected by the Fairwork Ombudsman, and there are laws for how both employees and employers behave in the workplace.
- The largest stock exchange in Australia, (and the South Pacific), is the Australian Securities Exchange, (ASX). The ASX ranks 14th in the world by market capitalisation.
This message is not given in the form of an opinion, legal opinion or tax advice. If any of the information provided is of interest or relevance to you or your company we would strongly recommend you contact us or another qualified professional for specific advice.